Raw food is the future of the food industry. In Slovenia we are at a fairly high level in terms of awareness of healthy and sustainable nutrition; Words like trans fats, LDL cholesterol and thrombosis are no longer abstract terms that people don’t associate with their lifestyle. We all try to be healthy, but sometimes it is very difficult. Many people would like to include more fresh vegetables in their diet or prepare healthier meals, but in the fast pace of life they often just don’t have the time to do so. Is it even possible to prepare fresh dishes quickly and easily?
The answer is yes. Eating fresh is not complicated at all once we master the basic principles and remember the different ways to substitute eggs. As an appetizer, we can start by preparing two simple fresh desserts that will impress your friends and relatives with selected flavors. Their advantage is also that they are very light; Afterwards you will still feel fresh and full of energy.
Vegan fresh lime cake
Lime Tart is a basic recipe used to advantage by various bakers. You can find different versions of the recipe online, and by making it yourself several times, you’ll find your ideal amounts. You may want to use just 1 lime and 2 lemons or less maple syrup. In any case, this is a basic recipe that you can use for the first time.
The basic ingredients you need for your first vegan lime cake:
3 cups cashew nuts;
1 cup coconut cream or whole-milk coconut milk;
3 heaped tablespoons maple syrup;
3 tablespoons coconut oil;
vanilla sugar (1 heaped tablespoon is enough);
half a cup of almonds;
half a cup of walnuts (if you don’t have walnuts or almonds at home, you can replace them with pistachios; you can also add them to the recipe just for flavor, even if you’ve already used both walnuts and almonds) ;
a cup of dates;
- Step: One evening before preparing the cake, put the cashew nuts in a bowl and pour in water so that they are completely covered with the liquid. In the morning they are so soft and juicy and suitable for using in a blender. If you forgot to soak the nuts, you can speed up the soaking process by pouring hot water over them.
- Step 1: We’re going to take care of the crust first, which will be the hard base for the softer, creamier top of the cake. We will make the base from nuts. First, add 1/2 cup of almonds, which are harder than walnuts, to the blender. Stir thoroughly and then add the almonds and stir again. If you want and have them on time, you can also add pistachios at this step.
- Step 1: Add dates to help crust hold together. Before you put them in the blender, just make sure they’re deboned; If you bought dates that aren’t dates, remove the seeds first. Stir the mixture thoroughly, but make sure you still see little bits in it; the crust should by no means be a smooth mass. It’s done when the pieces start to stick together because of the dates.
- Step 1: Spread the base evenly over the base of the cake tin previously lined with baking paper. Tap the mass with the bottom of the glass so that it is evenly distributed and compacted in all places. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Step 1: Now that we’ve prepared the base, we can focus on the creamy main part of the cake. Remove the nuts from the water in which they were soaked and drain thoroughly; then put them in a blender. Add 1 cup coconut cream or coconut milk, 3 tablespoons coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla sugar, and the lime and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly in a blender until the mass is completely smooth and thick.
- step: take the baking tray with the bottom out of the fridge and spread the cream evenly over the bottom so that the cake is the same height everywhere. Put in the fridge for a few hours.
- Step 1: Your lime pie is ready!
Delicious fresh chocolate cake
It’s a delicious rich cream cake that’s great after a heavy family lunch; You can also prepare it for a birthday or a party.
To prepare the crust you will need:
a cup of almonds;
a cup of walnuts;
three tablespoons of cocoa;
3 tablespoons maple syrup;
a tablespoon of vanilla sugar;
a teaspoon of salt;
For the creamy part of the cake you will need:
3 small ripe bananas;
3 tablespoons cocoa;
3 tablespoons maple syrup;
1 tablespoon brown unrefined cane sugar;
2 tablespoons coconut oil;
Pinch of salt.
- Step 1: As with the lime pie, let’s start by preparing the crust first. Puree the almonds in a blender, then add the softer walnuts and blend again. Add cocoa, maple syrup, vanilla sugar and salt. This crust is sweeter than the crust for a lime pie.
- Step 1: Pour the batter into a baking pan previously lined with parchment paper. Dip the bottom of the glass evenly in all places so that the crust is the same height everywhere. Set the cake with the mixture in the fridge to cool while you prepare the creamy top of the cake.
- Step 1: Peel the bananas and mix them with 3 tablespoons cocoa, 3 tablespoons maple syrup and 1 tablespoon brown unrefined cane sugar. Add two tablespoons of coconut oil and a pinch of salt. Mix thoroughly in a blender until thick and smooth.
- step: take the baking tray with the bottom out of the fridge and spread the creamy mixture evenly on it. Help yourself with a tablespoon so that the mass is the same height everywhere. Put in the fridge for a few hours.
- step: your new creamy fresh chocolate cake is ready. Have a good run!
Remember that the base of fresh cakes is always a nut crust, on which you then put a creamy base. With both the base and the cream, it is always important that the ingredients stick together; In ordinary cakes, we usually add eggs for this purpose, but in fresh cakes, even if you’re not vegan, we can’t do that. Nuts are high in fat, especially walnuts, but that won’t be enough.
There are many different natural ingredients that you can use to ensure your bulk holds together. You can add dates, bananas (you can also use them to replace eggs in vegan pancakes!), avocados,… You can easily use the latter in your fresh cakes as it goes great with sweet flavors.
Have fun trying out new recipes!
Photo source: Unsplash
Click on the image to view the full image.