The birds on the branch are already chirping that the world has a big problem with food waste. If food waste were a country, it would rank third in terms of its impact on global warming – after the United States and China. Experts argue that reducing food waste one of the most important things we can do to stop global warming.
One of the seven recommended lifestyle changes to reduce overall emissions is reducing food waste. The average amount of food waste in the US is estimated at 181 kilograms per person per year.
in the Slovenia? According to the statistical office, it was created in Slovenia in 2018 139 900 tons of food wastewhat is average 68 kilograms per head. Of this, half of the waste was “produced” by households. Household waste made up 11 percent of all household waste.
What can we do at home to reduce food waste?
One of the simple solutions you can implement to reduce waste is: Store the bowl in the freezer and keep the leftover veggies in it. If it’s full, do it Base of a vegetable soup. The container can contain anything from onion ends and skins, leek leaves, herb stems, broccoli ends, mushroom pieces, carrot leaves…
Most leftover vegetables can be used as a soup base. The experience of some who have already tried this shows that beets, cabbage and bitter vegetables can give off too strong a taste. Starchy chunks like potatoes can get sticky, but you might like the “thicker” base. You end up with something that tastes better than commercial soup bases. You can use it to prepare Soups, rice, pilaf, risottos, vegetable stews and the same.
How do you make a vegetable soup base from leftovers and peels?
– Leftover vegetables
– Olive oil
– Salt and pepper
– Optional: miso paste, dried herbs, parmesan peel, tomato puree, kombu seaweed or other sea vegetables
1. Leftover thawing. On medium heat them Heat for a teaspoon or two (or more, depending on the amount of vegetables), they fry for a few minutesthen add enough watereasy to mix.
2. Add Dried herbsfor example thyme or bay leaf – and any Accesories (Optional).
3. When it starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium low. let it cook about an hour, stir occasionally. You can mix simmer for a long timeto become more condensed.
4. The mix precede pass through a sieve and season with salt and pepper. (Add the cooked leftovers compost.) When the prepared mixture has cooled, it becomes use for dinner. You can keep it for up to a week v closed glass jar in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to three months. You can also freeze homemade soup base in the ice cube trayif you need smaller quantities.
Created by: Tanja Žuvela
Introductory photo: Pexels